Since the last update, there has been a flurry of activities and events! We had two teams from the United States come. One group, comprised of students from JHU and UMD College Park, started us off on a slew of outreaches and events that sparked new growth at Grace Life Lima.
Prior to their arrival, the church was getting ready to move into a new space that would hold significantly more people. The church started a 5 week series that would answer questions that anyone would have about God. Why are all religions not the same? Why are there tragedies in the world if God is real? The congregation invited their friends and neighbors to Sunday service for the next five weeks. The student team passed out the cards, sponsored a family day in the park locally, reached out and presented the gospel in drama in neighborhoods. The Sunday, following all the concerted efforts, we hit an all time high in attendance. We had twenty to thirty newcomers for the next two Sundays. It was truly exciting! Many people accepted Christ those weeks, and we were busy following up with them one on one and forming new foundational classes.
Our second team from Grace Life Elkridge arrived and hit the ground running literally! We picked up half our team from the airport as they had just flown in from traveling to Machu Picchu. Right off the plane, into the van and then a series of drop-offs coordinated with our Grace Life Lima members brought them straight into homes for dinners and first time introductions. This was what our group did the rest of the week. They visited homes of Grace Life Lima members shared meals, exchanged stories, laughed and prayed together. It was many shared memories in the making. Somewhere in the midst of all this, the group made a trek out to help the flood victims in Chosica. The gratefulness of those we could help for an afternoon was really heartfelt on both sides as we tearfully prayed together. It was hard to believe the happiness one could have even after a tragedy with so little left. They were grateful to still have their family and the help we offered that day but most of all the hope they could have in God. And so we prayed for that hope, God’s provision and love that would show faithful in their lives.
We ended the trip with small groups on Friday evening, Men’s and Women’s ministry with a BBQ in two locations on Saturday, and Baptism on Sunday. Seventeen people were baptized in the middle of winter in Peru. Our summer but their winter- no one goes to the beach much less goes into the water during this time. Their winters are more like our spring. It was cold but people were so joyful to be baptized and it was a great ending to the three weeks of events.
Family Day raised $1000 US from the used clothing donations that were sold and the food prepared by GL Lima members. This money went to buy a bass guitar for the church and other equipment needed for Sunday service.
Here are some ways you can pray:
- Pray for our new youth believers and for the youth group. Many are new Christians who are just starting their walk with God. We just restarted this group and are trying to establish and form a group of young people who earnestly want to live a life that is holy and pleasing to God.
- Pray for those who are suffering… suffering from recent loss of loved ones, loss of a child, an unborn child, for brokenness in marriage, for the refugee from Venezuela and for many who suffer greatly from poverty.
- Pray for the raising up of leaders in the church that God would continue to grow them in character, faith and truth of scripture. That God would transform their minds and hearts to be more like Christ. Protect them from the warfare and the hands of the enemy.
- Pray for God’s provision for the church.
- Pray for those who have come and experienced life in God would keep on going. For the new visitors, that God would remind them of himself. For the new believers that they would not forget but continue to seek God and grow in their walk.
- Pray that God would continue to grow this congregation in faith and transforming their faith walk that it would be permanent.
Thanks for all your help and for being a great blessing in so many ways that words cannot tell! We love you Grace Life Lima and all of our Grace Lifers who are here and far! From the hearts of everyone who experienced the love of Christ and the fellowship of believers. Amen.